Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Death by Paint: Emerald is Pantone's Color of the Year

It's okay, don't worry.  I am alive and well, but my spirit has suffered death by paint this week.  Seriously, I have been on the verge of tears and even had to call in reinforcements.  Grab a stiff drink and cozy up while I start from the beginning.

For those of you who know me well, you know that I have a hard time making decisions.  Most of the time I cannot even decide what I want for dinner.  I tend to hem and haw around for entirely too long and even when I do finally decide I have a hard time pulling the trigger.  For example, I have wanted an iPad and a certain new pair of shoes forever.  I don't know why I don't just go buy them, but I don't.  Thankfully my husband bought me an iPad for Christmas and I love it.  Why did I wait so long?  I am STILL waiting on those shoes.

Needless to say, I think that is why it has taken so long to start this office makeover.  Initially, I just didn't know what I wanted to do and then I found a chair I really liked. I literally stalked this chair in the store for probably two years.  So long that when I finally decided to pull the trigger it had been discontinued.  I was so disappointed and back to square one on my office.  This actually happens to me a lot.  I finally make a decision when it is too late.  You would think I would learn, but I'm hard headed.

So when I saw the fabric Jennifer chose for her dining room chairs, I knew it was time to start over.  This time I only pondered for a few weeks, but the fabric was already sold out online.  Luckily Hobby Lobby still had it in-stock and I snatched some up before it was too late.  In the meantime, Pantone announced Emerald as the 2013 Color of the Year.  I loved it!  It was different and bold and pulled out the green in the fabric.  It felt like the stars were aligning and I was on a roll!!


Source

I don't know of anywhere around here that carries the Pantone brand so I hit up my local Sherwin Williams.  I don't know why I didn't have them color match the Emerald.  I honestly never even thought about it until now.  Instead I just chose a color I liked: Greenbelt.  It is a bold color, which really just means pain in the butt.  I have learned that bold colors, like greens and reds, require a primer and lots of coats.  Remember last week when I was in a mood?  It was because of that green.  I painted one coat of primer and three coats of green.  One more coat probably wouldn't have hurt, but I was over it and ready to move onto another color.  Little did I know that it was about to do me in.

I knew what I wanted: a light, neutral color to brighten up the rest of the room.  I chose a color called Blonde that SW recommended as a corresponding color to Greenbelt.  Seemed easy enough, until I got it home.  As soon as I opened the can I knew it was wrong.  A little test swatch onto the wall and I had aptly renamed it "Baby's Room Yellow".  It was terrible.  I found out later it has gold undertones, not brown.  It really has been all downhill since then.  I have been in that store no less than five times this week.  Those guys are tired of seeing me and I, quite frankly, am embarrassed to keep going back in to tell them "it's too yellow, it's too light".  I went to another paint store yesterday (where I was a little less known) and picked up two more samples.  I haven't even tested them out yet because I'm not feeling very optimistic.  It has about brought me to tears.  I even called in two more sets of eyes for their opinions and let's just say that I am now exploring other options.  I'll let you know when, or even if, I ever decide.

Nevertheless, I do have some good news to report.  I have officially marked my first home project for 2013 off the list.  I cut off the blinds!!  WHY have I waited 4 years to do that?  I used a tutorial from Levolor and it was simple.  It only took me about two hours (plus or minus a cookie break) to do the whole house.  How are your New Year's resolutions going?  Have you marked anything off of your list yet?

Lisa

Don't miss out! Enter your email address to subscribe:

No comments:

Post a Comment